Brussels sprouts with walnuts from the oven
Brussels sprouts are in season right now and we love them! You can prepare them in different ways; in the oven, cooked, in a hotchpotch. Sprouts are a winter vegetable, which grows widely in the Netherlands.
Brussels sprouts are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are very healthy and contain plenty of vitamin C and vitamin K. Furthermore, sprouts contain magnesium, iron, calcium, phosphorus and manganese. They are full of fibers and relatively high in protein.
In this recipe I cooked the brussels sprouts for 6 minutes first before roasting. After cooking they go in the oven together with the other veggies and the walnuts. The nuts are from my parent’s walnut tree so luckily, we never have to buy walnuts.
This autumn dish is actually a very simple low carb meal but very tasteful and healthy! Naturally, you can add some potatoes if you want to eat some carbs with the sprouts
ingredients from the oven
- 500 grams brussel sprouts, peeled
- 20 walnuts
- 5 Dutch carrots
- Yellow and red bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup, honey or ahorn syrup
- olive oil
homemade dip sauce
- 3 tablespoons plant-based yogurt (you can add some vegan mayo)
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- Add the peeled brussels sprouts to boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Cooking time based on average size sprouts.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °c.
- Clean the Dutch carrots and cut in length. If the carrot is very thick, cut them twice in length.
- Crack the walnuts if you bought them with shell.
- Clean the bell peppers and cut into strips.
- Put everything on the oven tray and sprinkle with chili powder, syrup and a few tablespoons of olive oil. Toss and place the oven tray in the oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dipping sauce by mixing the ingredients.
- See for yourself when you take the tray out of the oven. It takes about 30 minutes, it depends on your oven. When the sprouts and carrots are soft, you know the veggies are ready.
- Put everything on a large plate and dip the veggies in the sauce.
- Vary your veggies, whatever you like. For example, try some cauliflower or parsnip.