coconut rice with Dutch beans
In Jamaica a typical side dish is coconut rice with beans, but the Jamaicans call it also rice with peas or red beans. The rice is cooked in coconut milk. We really like the tropical taste of this dish.
Coconut flavors are very important for the Thai and South Asian kitchen too. Onion, garlic and thyme are added to the coconut rice for much more flavor.
I combined the coconut rice with a stew in which I also used coconut milk. That’s why I shouldn’t advice it to combine these dishes. Combine this tropical dish with veggie chunks, a curry or a salad. I used Dutch brown beans for this recipe, but kidney beans are great also.
You can find the recipe for the Jamaican stew here.
ingredients tropical dish
- 150 grams brown rice
- can brown beans, 400 grams (or use kidney beans)
- onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- teaspoon thyme
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml water
preparation tropical dish
- Drain canned beans in a colander. Remove the thick liquid in which they are packed.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat some oil and sauté the onions. Add the brown rice, the thyme and the garlic.
- Stir and add the coconut milk and 200 ml water. Cook the rice for 8 minutes until all moisture is absorbed by the rice. It depends which rice you use, read the instructions on the package.
- At last, add the beans, stir and turn the pan off the heat, cover with the lid and let the cocnut rise steam for about 5 minutes. This way the beans will warm up and your tropical dish is ready to eat.
tips tropical dish
- Choose other beans.