grilled green asparagus with pasta
It’s spring and we are so happy asparagus are in season right now, yeah! There are several ways you can prepare these delicious little spears. I used the green (not the thin) ones, because they work best for grilling. They get a nutty taste, yumm!
Grilled green asparagus can be perfectly combined with pasta and the taste of grill blends into the whole meal. Furthermore, I add some plant based cream, vegan smokey ham, onion, garlic and to add some more flavor to this vegan dish I used oregano, thyme and fresh chives.
ingredients spears recipe
- 150 grams whole wheat pasta (we used Fusilli)
- 12 green asparagus (not the thin ones, because they dry out)
- 100 ml plant based cream
- 100 grams Quorn vegan smokey ham or something similar, sliced in pieces
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- handful of chives, chopped
preparation spears recipe
- Start with the asparagus. Remove 1 cm of the base, because it is too woody to chew.
- You normally don’t peel green asparagus, but I bought thicker ones, so I peel only the bottom, about 3 cm. If you have the thin green asparagus these steps are not necessary.
- Preheat a grill pan, put some oil in it and grill the green spears in 10 to 15 minutes, it depends how thin they are and the desired tenderness. Keep turning when grilling.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- Cut the grilled green asparagus into pieces when ready.
- Preheat a wok, put some oil in it and add the onion, after one minute you add the garlic together with the thyme, oregano and cream. Add the vegan ham, asparagus, pasta, half the chives and some pepper.
- Serve the grilled green asparagus with the remaining chives and nutritional yeast flakes.
tips spears recipe
- Nutritional yeast flakes, for garnish