Soba noodles with sweet and sour sauce
Soba noodles with a homemade sweet and sour sauce is a delicious dish! And surprisingly not that difficult. I think preparing the homemade sweet and sour sauce will take 5 minutes of your time. Why should you buy ready-made sauce if you can make it easily by yourself? Go for homemade!
In this recipe I combined the sauce with Soba noodles, pineapple, snow peas, spinach, peanuts and coriander. Pineapple is a perfect combination with homemade sweet and sour sauce, yumm! But if you don’t like the yellow fruit, you can use mango or peach instead.
Roasted peanuts really complete this dish! Instead of peanuts you can also use cashew nuts if you like. If you don’t like nuts at all, you can add some tempeh or tofu.
This recipe for sweet and sour noodles is incredibly tasty and full of flavors. Do you like rice or quinoa more? Replace it for noodles, fits also perfectly in this dish.
Ingredients noodles and homemade sweet and sour sauce
Noodles and veggies
- 180 grams noodles, i use soba noodles
- ½ pineapple, peeled and chopped
- 200 grams snow peas
- 2 hands full of fresh spinach; tear with your hands into smaller pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into half moons
- 2 hands full of raw peanuts
- fresh coriander
Homemade sweet and sour sauce
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon kecap (also spelled as ketjap) manis
- ½ teaspoon sambal oelek paste
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon palm sugar (or another type of sugar if you don’t have)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Preparation sweet and sour noodles
- Prepare the homemade sweet and sour sauce first. Stir the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water in a bowl.
- Heat a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté in 20 seconds or until garlic begins to turn brown (don’t burn it!). Add the ketchup, stir and add the vinegar, sambal, kecap and palm sugar. Stir and add the cornstarch/water mixture. Stir and allow the sauce to simmer for 1 minute or until thickened. Then add 2 tablespoons of water and if needed a bit more to thin out the sauce. Turn off the heat, add the pineapple chunks, toss and set aside.
- Prepare the Soba noodles according to packing instructions.
- Roast the peanuts in a pan, keep tossing. When ready set aside.
- Wok the snow peas in 5 minutes on high heat and add the onion. Chop the coriander stalks and add to the peas. Lower heat, add the spinach, Soba noodles and sweet and sour sauce with pineapple chunks.
- Garnish the sweet and sour noodles with the roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
Tips sweet and sour noodles
- Use mango instead of pineapple.
- Vary with veggies.
- Add some bell pepper or pak choi.
- Use quinoa or brown rice instead of noodles.