jerk vegan chunks stuffed pita
I probably think people will expect jerk chicken is the national dish of Jamaica, because it is the most widely eaten popular dish everywhere you go. But the national dish in Jamaica is ackee with saltfish.
Ackee and saltfish is sautéed saltfish with boiled ackee, onions, thyme, scotch bonnet peppers, tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, black pepper and pimento. Ackee is Jamaica’s national fruit. The dish looks like scrambled egg.
In Kingston we stayed at a guesthouse and the owner prepared ackee with breadfruit for us, though without the fish because she was vegan. It was very delicious!
Back to the jerk chicken.
This popular dish is one of the most traditional Jamaican food. Jerk spice is made from cinnamon, ginger, cloves, thyme, pepper, garlic and nutmeg. Instead of chicken the jerk spice can also combined with veggies, beef, shrimps, tofu. However, chicken is still the most popular choice in Jamaica. For us it isn’t because we don’t eat chicken anymore.
In this recipe I’ve used plant based chunks and the jerk seasoning we bought on the island.
ingredients jerk stuffed pita
jerk chicken & salad
- 2 packages Vivera plant based chicken chunks or something similar as meat substitute
- 1 ½ tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- red onion, cut into half moons
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- carrot, peeled and grated
- red cabbage, shredded
- white cabbage, shredded
- fresh coriander, chopped
- half lime
- 3 tablespoons plant based yogurt
- ground pepper
6 to 8 pita bread
- 430 grams whole wheat flour
- 5 grams instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300 ml lukewarm water
preparation jerk stuffed pita
- First, we make the dough for the pita bread. Put the yeast together with the water in a bowl and stir, let the yeast dissolve in the water.
- Add the flour in a large bowl, add a tablespoon olive oil and the yeast/water mixture and stir.
- Sprinkle some flour on your counter and start kneading for 15 minutes. Sprinkle in a little more flour when the dough sticks too much to your hands.
- Divide the dough into 6 (or 8) equal balls and flatten to round pitas. Cover the oven plate with parchment paper and sprinkle a little bit flour on it. Put the pita breads on the plate and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filing. Add the vegan chunks in a bowl together with the jerk seasoning and 3 tablespoons of oil. Mix together and let it rest in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 230 °C.
- Now you prepare the salad. Mix the iceberg lettuce, cabbage, carrot, onion and coriander in a bowl, squeeze the lime, add the yogurt and ground pepper to taste.
- Remove the towel from the breads and transfer the oven plate into the oven for 15 minutes. Maybe a bit shorter or longer, it depends on your oven.
- Bake the vegan chicken chunks in a frying pan while the bread is in the oven.
- Let the pita bread cool off a little before serving. Cut an opening in the pita and stuff with the plant based chicken and salad.
tips jerk stuffed pita
- Create your own jerk seasoning.
- Combine the jerk chicken with mango or pineapple.