Jerusalem artichoke from the oven
We never tried Jerusalem artichoke. I don’t know why. Jerusalem artichokes is also called sunroot, sunchoke, or earth apple and belong to the forgotten vegetables. How is that possible? These fall veggies are very tasty. They have an earthy and nutty taste. They also become very soft when you put them in the oven. You can eat them raw, cooked, baked and mashed. We find them raw also very tasty, nutty and refresing.
We combined the Jerusalem artichokes with another forgotten fall vegetable; the Chioggia beet. The Chioggia beet is originally from the town of Chioggia, from Italy. If you cut the beet in half, you will see an amazing white pink striped drawing. Unfortunately the drawing will disappear if you heat the beet. But you can also use the chioggia raw in salads, it will brighten up your dish immediately.
ingredients from the oven
- 4 chioggia beets
- 320 grams jerusalem artichokes
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 20 grams pistachio nuts
- 30 grams hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons agave (or bio honey)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- You don’t have to peel Jerusalem artichokes, just scrub and rinse them well. Dirty pieces can be cut off and thrown away. Then you cut the Jerusalem artichokes into slices or pieces.
- You don’t have to peel the Chioggia beet either, only remove the top. Rinse well and then cut into slices.
- Put the Chioggia beets and Jerusalem artichokes in a bowl. Cut the onion into 4 parts, add this to the bowl. Peel the garlic cloves, cut in half and add to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, the agave syrup, a pinch of sea salt and the rosemary to the bowl and mix together.
- Place a sheet of oven paper on the oven plate and place the mixture on top. Put it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile roast the hazelnuts and pistachio nuts.
- Remove the plate from the oven and garnish the Chioggia beets and Jerusalem artichokes with the nuts. Enjoy your meal!
tips from the oven
- You can add (sweet) potatoes on the oven plate.