A perfect side dish for almost everything and we especially like to eat potato salad on hot summer days. You can serve it on a party, a BBQ or a picnic and it’s easy to make in large quantities.
We normally don’t make potato salad in winter, but why not actually I’m asking myself now?
This healthy vegan potato salad with interesting flavors is delicious and easy to prepare. We like it when there is a bit of crunchiness, so I add apple and radishes.
ingredients potato salad
- 2 kilos waxy potatoes
- 2 apples with sweet-sour taste (i used elstar), cored and cut into chunks (leave the peel on)
- 12 radishes, chopped
- 8 pickles, chopped
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons plant based yogurt
- 2 teaspoons sweet kecap (also spelled as ketjap) manis
- 3 teaspoons mustard, or add to taste
- ground pepper
preparation potato salad
- Wash and scrub the potatoes under running water. Use a brush to remove dirt and sand.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes, until tender. Pierce with a fork. Don’t overcook, the potatoes should not be falling apart when cut.
- Drain, let them cool of to room temperature.
- Chop the potatoes before adding to the salad (you can peel the potatoes first, but why should you, I don’t feel the need). Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, ground pepper and squeeze the lemon, toss gently.
- Make the dressing by combining the mustard, kecap, mayo and yogurt, then whisk.
- Add the apple, onions, radishes, pickles and chives (not all of it) and the dressing to the cooled potatoes and give a gentle toss, until well combined.
- I do recommend to refrigerate the potato salad for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the potato salad in a large bowl and garnish with chives and freshly ground black pepper to brighten it up.
- If you have leftovers, you can keep it in the refrigerator for a few days.
tips potato salad
- Add chopped walnuts
- Add celery
- Add capers instead of pickles
- You can cook the potatoes a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator before use.