It is autumn and that means lots of pumpkin dishes for example this delicious pumpkin soup! We are huge fans of the butternut squash (or butternut pumpkin) because it is packed with flavor and you can make all kinds of recipes with it. The fruit has a sweet, nutty taste. Technically it’s a fruit, but the pumpkin is more used as a veggie that can be roasted, pureed, mashed and sauteed. It is a good source of fiber and vitamin C.
We like to roast pumpkin in the oven or mix it in a lasagna. Add it in a hotchpotch or make a pumpkin pie. This tasty pumpkin soup is very easy to prepare and it’s full of flavor and a bit spicy. You don’t have to peel the butternut squash, but cut the sides and wash dirty.
The coconut milk makes the soup creamy. You can garnish the soup with fresh herbs like coriander, parsley or chives and yeast flakes.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 liter vegetable bouillon, I only use a half bouillon cube
- 0,5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0,5 teaspoon grounded cumin
- Pinch chili flakes
- Pumpkin seeds
- 150 ml coconut milk, add to taste
- Optional: yeast flakes
- Clean the pumpkin with water and remove both ends. Cut the butternut squash in half widthwise and again in half lengthwise, remove the seeds. Cut the pumpkin into pieces. Don’t remove the skin, only dirty spots.
- Add a little olive oil in a large stock pot. Doe een beetje olijfolie in een grote soeppan. Saute the onion for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and chili flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Don’t burn the garlic. Add the pumpkin pieces, cinnamon, cumin and bouillon.
- Simmer for 35 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Blend the soup until smooth.
- Lastly, add the cocunut milk and some ground pepper to taste, and optionally a pinch of sea salt.
- Serve with the pumpkin seeds and yeast flakes.