smoky tempeh with couscous
Since we don’t eat meat anymore, we search for other meatless sources of protein. Tempeh is our favorite; it’s healthy and easy to prepare.
The best way to prepare tempeh is to steam it first to absorb the marinade at his best. But I don’t feel like to do this extra step, so I add the chunks directly to the marinade, set aside for about 30 minutes and once marinated stir fry the tempeh in a hot pan.
We combine tempeh for example with noodles or rice and put it in salads. You can also crumble it and add it to pasta sauces or soups for example. Tempeh itself is flavorless, but you can add any flavor you like.
Tempeh is healthier dan tofu, both are made from soy, but tempeh is less processed than tofu and is healthier in general because it contains more protein and fiber.
For this smoky tempeh recipe I used liquid smoke to achieve the smoky flavor. I never used the smoke liquid before and we both were very curious about how it tastes. I bought the Hickory Smoke from Mex-Al on the Internet, because it’s difficult to find it in stores. Don’t add too much, because its highly concentrated. But the smoky tempeh has certainly that ‘bacon taste’.
ingredients wok recipe
smoky tempeh / couscous
- 150 grams whole wheat couscous
- 200 ml water
- 250 grams tempeh, in chunks
- 1 cucumber
- 200 grams broccoli, stalks sliced, top cut into small florets
- 1 red onion, diced
- ground pepper
- half lime, juiced
preparation smoky tempeh recipe
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and add the tempeh chunks. Stir and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Place couscous in a large bowl. Pour over 200 ml boiling water and cover with a plate. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and immediately pour over cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds (the ‘wet’ part inside) with a teaspoon. Again, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and cut in pieces.
- Add the tempeh in a hot pan and stir fry all sides until browned.
- Now add the couscous, smoky tempeh, cucumber, onion and broccoli together in a large bowl, toss and sprinkle with black pepper, lime juice and olive oil.
tips smoky tempeh recipe
- Don’t add too much, Hickory Smoke from Mex-Al because its highly concentrated.