There is nothing better than a fresh summer salad during hot summer days! In this recipe I combined different kinds of crunchy veggies like chicory, fennel, Dutch carrots, radish, celery, apple and lettuce with healthy walnuts and almonds.
Furthermore, I added vegan feta cheese, which we never have tried before. It’s not really the ‘feta we are used to, but it works out fine. For more sweetness you can add some raisins. We do not really like raisins in salads but if you like it than use it, because raisins suits perfectly with the other ingredients.
The summer salad is crispy, light and easy to prepare. We ate the salad as a main dish, since it contains proteins and fats. But it’s also perfect as a side dish for a BBQ or a summer picknick.
ingredients summer salad
- 2 heads of chicory, chopped
- 1 bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- 3 dutch carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 12 pieces of radish, sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- 6 leaves of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 20 walnuts, chopped
- handful of almonds
- vegan feta cheese (we used soyananda), in chunks
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon plant based mayo
- 3 tablespoons plant based yogurt
- 1,5 teaspoons mustard, add to taste
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, add to taste
- ground pepper
preparation summer salad
- In a very large bowl, combine chicory, fennel, carrots, celery, radish, apple and the nuts.
- Make the dressing in a separate bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, mayo, yoghurt, mustard, syrup and ground pepper.
- Toss the veggies with the dressing or serve dressing separate
tips summer salad
- Use cabbage instead of chicory
- Add some slices of pickles to the salad
- Use avocado instead of vegan feta
- Add a handful of raisins