Vegan burritos are so amazingly yummy! We really love all Mexican food!! The tortilla wraps used for the vegan burritos we make by ourselves instead of buying them, it’s easier than you think. And these homemade wraps are made with whole wheat flour instead of white flour; healthier and more nutritious.
Of course, if you want to save some time in the kitchen, you can buy the tortillas in the supermarket. The vegan burrito seasoning mix has a delicious Mexican flavor and is also very easy to compose. Healthier and cheaper than sachets you buy in the supermarket.
Fill the wraps with beans and lots of veggies, roll them up, sprinkle with cheese and put them in the oven and enjoy these super tasty vegan burritos!
ingredients vegan burritos
filling vegan burritos
- 400 grams canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 grams canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chili pepper, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- vegan grated cheese, i used simply v
- optional: vegan sour cream or vegan spread
- 200 grams whole wheat spelt flour
- 120 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (i crush the cumin seeds using a pestle and mortar)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
preparation tortilla wraps
- Add the flour, water and olive oil in a large bowl and stir. Flour your bench top and knead the dough until a firm smooth ball forms. If needed add a little flour if the dough feels too wet or add a little water if the dough feels too dry. The dough must feel smooth and soft, just like your earlobe.
- Divide into 6 portions and roll each portion into a circle on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten as much as possible, but don’t break it.
preparation vegan burritos
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat, don’t put oil in it and bake the tortillas for one minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Fry the onions and the chili pepper for a few minutes, then add the red and green bell pepper and fry again for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, lime juice, beans, corn and seasoning. Sizzle for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Put some cream on the tortilla, add the filling across the center, wrap it up and place in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish the burritos with fresh coriander
tips vegan burritos
- I use fresh garlic in this dish. You can also add 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead of fresh garlic.
- Serve with a salad.
- If you don’t have the time to make tortilla wraps, buy them in the store. Saves time, but less tasty.