Vegan Kapsalon (means hairdresser in Dutch and is a popular dish in the Netherlands). The dish is cheap, unhealthy and often eaten by young people after a night out. Occasionally we ate a kapsalon, Remco the regular one with shoarma and I always ordered the vegan kapsalon with falafel. An original kapsalon is full of animal ingredients and consists of a layer fries, covered with shoarma and topped with cheese. Then it is heated until cheese is melted and lastly the dish is topped with salad and garlic sauce.
The kapsalon is an enormous colorie bomb and was invented in 2005 by the owner of a shoarma shop in Rotterdam. The dish is named after a hairdresser who was a huge fan of this dish.
In this recipe the kapsalon is vegan and much more healthy with less calories. Instead of regular fries we bake sweet potato fries in the oven. Instead of meat we use jackfruit. We never tried jackfruit before, but after reading about it, we wanted to give it a try. And it seemed perfectly for the kapsalon because of the structure.
Jackfruit, also known as nangka is a large green fruit originally from India. In the Netherlands it is not well known, but maybe you might find the exotic fruit in an international foodstore. The fruit has a stringy structure and is comparable with pulled pork. Because of its structure it’s quite popular as a meat substitute. The fruit is healthy, easy to marinate and is a source of fiber, viamins b6, c, iron and potassium. In terms of nutritional values, jackfruit is not immediately a regular meat substitute, because it doesn’t contain lots of proteins and added vitamin b12. I recommend you to add jackfruit for structure in your dish.
There is yellow and green jackfruit on the market. The yellow is sweet and covered in syrup. The green jackfruit is for savory dishes, so that’s the one you must buy. There are many variations of Upton’s that are already marinated such as bbq, thai, sweet and smoky. We like to marinate it ourselves and buy the natural version.
Besides the sweet potato fries and jackfruit the kapsalon is completed with a delicious crispy coleslaw and fresh iceberg lettuce. The homemade garlic sauce makes it perfect.
Sweet potato fries
- 4 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- Pack of jackfruit unmarinated, we bought Upton’s at the AH
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sniff chili powder, add to taste
- Finely sliced iceberg lettuce
- Pickled jalapeno peppers, optional
- 150 grams finely chopped white cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded, 90 grams
- 2 pickles, sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Pinch of grounded pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon plant based yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Remove the jackfruit from the package and pull it apart. Add the spices and marinade to the jackfruit. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes and get rid of any dirt. Cut into 0,5 cm sticks. Very important is to dry them well for the crispiness. Use a kitchen towel to make it work. Put everything in a large container and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon paprika powder. Shake everything together and place on an oven tray with parchment paper and bake for about 40 minutes. Make sure to spread the potatoes in a single layer. In our oven the fries didn’t become very crispy, but we still liked it.
Maybe you can soak the potatoes first in ice cold water after cutting for about 30 minutes. This step should remove starch and should result in more crispy fries, but we actually never tried because we are satisfied without soaking. Of course, after this step rinse, drain and dry.
- In the meantime, continue with preparing the dish. Add the ingredients for the garlic sauce in a bowl, mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the cabbage, carrot, pickles, white wine vinegar, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, pepper and agave syrup.
- Fry the jackfruit in a few minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the oven tray from the oven when you are satisfied. Take a large flat bowl for the fries and add a pinch of salt. Garnish with the jackfruit, add some lettuce and coleslaw. Drizzle with the garlic sauce and the jalapeno peppers.
- We enjoyed it eating together from the same bowl!